Our community swimming pool closes at that time and one neighbor owns a pair of decidedly vocal flip-flops. Every night, without fail, we would hear her walk all the way from the pool to her front door. The sound was faint at first but by the time she passed by, we knew it was her. Squeak, squish, squeak, squish.
For the first few weeks, I wondered if she was embarrassed by the sound of her shoes. I certainly would have been; the sound was so loud it reverberated off the sides of the buildings she passed.
After a couple of months of this nightly serenade, I started marveling at her very faithful attendance at the pool. She never missed a night, that I recall. I would bet that there are plenty of nights that she would have preferred to just stay inside and not complicate things by going to the pool. Did she really want to change out of her clothes into her suit just to squeak, squish in front of the entire neighborhood? Maybe not, but she seemed to understand that the sacrifice in time and effort would reward her with some enjoyment and relaxation.
As summer wound down over the last couple of weeks, I started thinking about this woman and some lessons I felt the Lord might be wanting to teach me through her example.
- Is there anything in my life that I don't have to do (i.e. other than go to my job) that someone could catch me doing faithfully at the same time every single day?
- Is there anything I don't want to do but faithfully engage in because I know I'll feel better, or at least be better, for accomplishing?
- Is there anything I do, or don't do, because it might diminish someone's admiration of me (can you say pride)?
- Am I careful to make time to do the things I love?
The last few weeks I've lived at a frantic pace and some of what I need to faithfully do, like spend quality time daily with the Lord, hasn't gotten the priority it once had. I haven't had time to do the things I love to do, only the things I need to do. And there are plenty of activities I've talked myself out of doing because others will think it is silly or because it is just too much effort.
Proverbs 17:22 says that a cheerful heart is good medicine. I don't think that means we must force ourselves to be happy -- and does that really work, anyway -- but it means we are given permission and are encouraged to seek out activities that help make our heart cheerful.
For squeak-squish lady, she finds the pool to be good medicine. For a friend of mine, she might find a long dreamed about art class to be good medicine. For my good medicine, I know that I must more jealously guard my time for prayer and Bible study. And, who knows, I might dig out my suit and flip flops and see how much noise I can make on the way to the pool.
Heavenly Father,
Thank you so much for caring about every part of me - my body, spirit, soul and emotions. I'm glad that You've given me permission to take time out for the things I love; the things that refresh me and make me better.
Please help me to talk to You about everything in my life so what I do is pleasing to You.
In Jesus' name,
Amen
No comments:
Post a Comment