Yesterday, I wasted significant time worrying about some things that might happen, some things that could happen, and some things I'm afraid won't happen. After ignoring my anxious thoughts as long as I could, I remembered 2 Corinthians 10:5. It says "We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ."
What does it mean to take captive every thought? How can I make every thought obedient to Christ?
I don't have a complete handle on this yet. But, one thing I do know: praising God is always the right thing to do and it certainly helps my thoughts get back on the right track.
I've had the privilege of learning a lot about praise over the last ten years. One of the earliest "lessons" I had came right after our pastor and worship leader at church did a teaching series on the subject. But this lesson was a private tutoring session - just between me and God.
A number of people in my company traveled to Nashville for business and I had hoped to stay in town an extra day to see a concert. The person who coordinated the travel logistics told me that I could just change my airfare at the airport and would probably only have to pay a $30 fee. I was a complete travel novice and it never occurred to me that perhaps I should call the airline to verify this information.
On the morning when most of the staff was to depart for home, I was asked to take one of our rental cars and drive a few people to the airport. This was perfect since I needed to change my flight anyway (you frequent fliers have already noticed that this was my first mistake). Other co-workers were leaving later so I could just bring the rental car back to the hotel. I and our staff had been up very late the night before so I literally rolled out of bed and pulled on some sweats. I don't think I even ran a brush through my hair and I'm sure I didn't put on any make-up.
As the travelers unloaded their items at the curb, I made my way inside the airport to the Southwest Airlines ticket counter. I showed the agent my ticket and politely told her that I would like to change my return for one day later. She pleasantly said, "No problem. That will be $300."
All the blood in my body instantly raced for my toes. I told her that there was no way I could pay the fee. My husband was a full-time student and our only credit card was connected to our checking account. I knew without a doubt that there wasn't $300 in the account, let alone an extra $300.
My feet started running toward the door and I turned back and told the agent that I was going to make the flight for which I was originally booked. She waved and said, "Okay!"
My co-workers were just lifting their last bag out of the trunk when I ran to the drivers side, shouted "I'm going with youuuuuuuuu!," and took off with a flash.
Until I got onto the highway. Apparently, Nashville, like other major metropolitan cities, has problems with morning traffic.
I was in a complete panic. My entire body was shaking and I could feel my heart pounding out of my chest. The stress of the morning combined with the stop and go traffic felt like more than I could take. "Woman's Body Explodes on Nashville Freeway - Film at 11."
Suddenly, I realized that this might be the perfect time to put some of the worship lessons I learned into practice. I didn't know what else to do. So, with a very shaky voice, I started to sing a praise song that I had learned at church. After that song was over, I sang a hymn, then another song, and another, until I realized that I had pulled to the front of my hotel. I left the car in the no-parking zone (something I would never, ever normally do - fight or flight makes you do crazy things) and ran upstairs to throw my belongings in my suitcase. In less than five minutes, I had my suitcase and a co-worker to drive me back to the airport.
I made the flight and even had time to quickly call my husband to say I would be home a day early. I entered the cabin of the plane and a Southwest worker shut and locked the cabin door right behind me.
Granted, this was pre-911 so the chances of this happening today are probably pretty slim. But, I fully believe that God honored my captive thoughts that were set on thinking of Him in what appeared to be hopeless situation.
Are you experiencing any hopeless situations today? How about worries - have you got any? Take time to sing or speak praise to the Lord. He can get you where you need to go.
Dear Heavenly Father,
I love that you care about every thing that happens in my life. I praise You right now that You are in control and that You don't want me to worry (Matthew 6:34). I praise You for being loving and good and always available to help me. Please help me to remember that praise is always an option.
In Jesus' Name,
Amen
Monday, October 15, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment