Sunday, April 29, 2012

Thankful, Prayerful, Joyful

Long ago, my husband and I chose 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 as our life verse.  It says, “Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.” 

Did you catch that last phrase?  “This is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.”  In every situation I find myself, I am to be joyful, prayerful, and thankful.  At every single crossroads I find myself, no matter how big or small, I know I am to rejoice, talk to God, and give God my thanks.

The notes in the ESV Study Bible elaborate on the meaning of these verses by stating that joyfulness is the basic mark of the Christian.  Those same notes also say that Christians should be conscious of being in God's presence throughout the day.  In other words, we should have continual personal fellowship with Him. 

Isn't that amazing?  If you have repented of your sin and placed your faith in Christ alone to save you, then God is always with you.  That thought alone makes me joyful and thankful this very moment!   

Thank You, Lord, for the power of Your word and the encouragement it gives me.  Please help me to be continually conscious that You are with me and that I can - and should - talk with You about everything I'm thinking and feeling.  Thank You for every good thing I have in my life.  It's all from you (James 1:17).
In Jesus Name,

Amen

Discussion Question: Do you have a life verse?  If so, what is it?

No comments: