Monday, April 13, 2009

It's Not Up to Me

Psalm 16:11 You have made known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence, with eternal pleasures at your right hand.

Does God really direct our paths? Does He have a specific will for our lives? I believe He does.

The Holman Bible Dictionary says, "God's sovereignty means He is in all and over all." "God's sovereignty moves toward a particular end, a specific purpose (Philippians 2:13)."

Sometimes it's easy to believe God doesn't have a specific plan for our lives. We struggle because our lives haven't become what we had hoped. So instead of believing God has a plan, we stop expecting so much. Pretty soon we wonder if He cares. Loving Him with all our heart, mind, soul and strength becomes impossible because we feel so let down. (Mark 12:30)

But, God does have a plan and He always carries His plans out. He says so in His word.

"My purpose will stand, and I will do all that I please."
Isaiah 46:10

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."
Jeremiah 29:11

But, we always need to remember this about God:

"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways," declares the LORD.
Isaiah 55:8

My waking hours for the last few weeks have been consumed with searching for a new job. I've not experienced the kind of job security the previous generation enjoyed. My last job search was less than six months ago.

Because I'm wiser (older) and more experienced (older), I felt I could be a little more particular during this recent job hunt. I was open to just about any job God might lead me to take. Unless... that job was in a particular town, was for a specific kind of boss, or required a pay cut. None of those things were options I wanted to consider.

I recently accepted a job I feel God has clearly led me to take - in that particular town, for that specific kind of boss, and for a small pay cut. I took this job because I could clearly see God leading me to this position.

Circumstances aren't always a clear indicator we're in God's will, but the way I found out about this job and the way I landed it are so extraordinary, I know God was directing my path. I had recently met the right people, at the right time, and was given just the right offer I needed in order to feel peace about accepting this position.

God's path for my life hasn't fit my preconceived notions. I would never have imagined I would be doing what I'm doing at this stage of my life. But, He is fulfilling Psalm 16:11 in my life. He has made known the path of LIFE, and I am learning that real joy comes only through His presence, not through my circumstances.

Each of the twists and turns in my life give me new opportunities to hold on to Him more tightly. Sometimes I completely let go, but He never leaves me (Hebrews 13:5). He is always there, ready for me to confess my sin so our relationship can be restored.

He shows me the path for my life in His word. As I live in obedience to Scripture, I experience some of those eternal pleasures mentioned in Psalm 16:11.

If my life plan was up to me, I would never cling to Him or experience the joy of walking with Him. Thankfully, my life plan is up to the One whose will can never be thwarted.

Heavenly Father, Thank You for choosing to show me the path of eternal life. Please help me to hear Your still small voice over everything else in my life. Cause me to cling tightly to You in both good times and bad. Thank You for having ways and thoughts that are higher than my ways and thoughts.
In Jesus' Name,
Amen

1 comment:

Stonefox said...

Amen and amen. When we truly live by this truth, it affects everything we do, from jobs to having and raising kids, to where we live, how we spend our time...everything. A verse that jumped out at me this week was in Rev 3. It says "for by Him and for Him we exist." It just really hit home that this truth makes every single thing I do significant.