I just heard Squeak-Squish walk through the complex on her way back from the pool. (Who on earth is Squeak-Squish? Click here to find out.)
The distinctive sound of her wet flip-flops meeting the pavement is part of the evening ritual around here. I have no idea what time she goes to the pool, but it appears she likes to stay as long as she can. If it's Squeak-Squish, it must be after 10 o'clock - the time the pool closes.
This woman's dedication to her evening swim is inspiring to me. I hear her faithfully going back and forth to the pool almost every night. It is clear that this activity is simply something she enjoys. She isn't going to the pool to get a tan and doesn't appear to be going for a swim in order to improve her appearance or fitness. I think she just likes to end her evening this way.
Not many people have the luxury of choosing to do something they want to do every day. Most of us struggle to get done only what is essential - and even much of that is often left undone.
Do you ever feel frustrated when your head hits the pillow at night?
The day was too short and your to-do list was too long?
Do so many tasks seem urgent that it becomes difficult to view the importance of each task with clarity?
Sometimes the way to get everything done is to do nothing. No, I don't mean that the way to handle your to-do list is to ignore it and go for a swim (although that sounds pretty nice on this warm evening.) The way to get everything done is found in Psalm 46. In verse 10 we are told, "Be still, and know that I am God."
In the frenzy of each day's activities, the last thing I usually feel like doing is being still. But, oh, how important it is to sit in God's presence and know that He is God. Slowing down our hearts and spending time to reflect on this truth can transform who we are, how we view our circumstances and what tasks remain on our to-do list.
Instead of being frustrated that I'm not accomplishing all I want, I'm going to let the squeaky-squishy sound of wet flip-flops remind me to meditate on who God is and the truth of His word. I hope you'll do it, too. It will be more refreshing for our souls than a cool swim on a warm summer evening.
Heavenly Father,
Thank You for being God and for revealing this truth to us through Your word, the Bible. Please remind us to still our hearts so we can spend time knowing who You are. Please continue to reveal to us Your holiness, justice and love, for Your glory and our good.
In Jesus' Name,
Amen
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hello! I am glad you found me on the blog thing. I often read your entries. I like them a lot. I just re-did my page today. I had your blog listed as one I frequent. I added that back in again. I enjoy reading your stuff. Great to hear from you!
Kym
Post a Comment