I'll be the first to admit that I don't understand social networking -- of any sort. I want to be connected with people, not for what they can give me but out of genuine friendship.
The longer I live, however, the more I realize how important it is to invest in relationships. As much as I might want to, I don't live in a vacuum. I need people.
Oh sure, I can happily spend a week alone at home without speaking to another human being. But, too much me can be just that -- too much. Pretty soon I'm like the Dead Sea, always taking in but never giving back.
My church is on a campaign to get as many members as possible signed up on Facebook. My first reaction was, who has the time for that? I signed up on Facebook a few months ago and saw it as a complete waste of time, although it has given me the fun of reconnecting with some old college friends.
As if he read my mind, my pastor wrote a very interesting note called Why Facebook. I have to admit that I can't refute his reasoning to join this social networking forum. Read his note for yourself and let me know what you think.
In the meantime, I'll be working on using my Facebook account a little more actively. Because even if I'm home alone, it's good to be around friends.
Heavenly Father,
The only thing that will last for eternity after this life is You and other people. Thank You for giving us the privilege of being in relationship with others. Thank You for the encouragement, molding and refining that happens when we're with other people.
Please help us to be the kind of friend You want us to be.
In Jesus' Name,
Amen
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment