Why is it that as we get older, life feels scarier? Maybe I'm just speaking for myself.
I was probably more cautious than your average child but I was willing to do things back then that I would never do today.
I spent many happy hours riding my bike as a teenager. I explored Victorian neighborhoods and enjoyed the wind in my face. All in the days before bike helmets.
I willingly got on an airplane with excited thoughts of where I would travel and what I would see.
I looked forward to riding roller coasters!
Today my bike hangs forlornly in my garage. The thought of getting into an airplane literally makes me want to cry. And the last thrill ride I rode will probably be just that - my last.
My fears easily overcome me because I don't want to overcome them.
I don't want to get over my fear of flying because it would mean doing the exact thing that scares me so much. I see no reason to become friends with my bike because I can view a cute neighborhood from my car just fine. And why would I ever need to ride a roller coaster?
I may get through life just fine without ever riding a bike or an airplane or a roller coaster again. But I do need to live according to Jesus' teaching in John 14:27. He said, "Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid" (italics mine).
Whether I like it or not, I need to overcome my fears.
In her book, Having a Mary Spirit, Joanna Weaver gives some wonderfully practical suggestions to help overcome thoughts of fear or worry. One suggestion is to "add Dear Jesus to your fear and turn it into a prayer." Although this is an obvious piece of advice for a Christian, I have to admit that I haven't prayed much about these fears. Because, again, I don't want to overcome them.
My husband is flying tomorrow and I don't want him to go. But I know it would be out of God's will for him to avoid this trip. Would you pray that I give God my fears and not allow the fear to control me? Let me know your fears so I can encourage you to not let your heart be troubled, too.
Dear Jesus,
I'm afraid of bike riding, and airplanes and scary rides. Would You please help me overcome my fears so I can live according to Your command to not let my heart be troubled or afraid? I want to obey You. Thank You for sending the Holy Spirit to live inside me so I can live for You. And, thank You for Your peace.
In Your precious name,
Amen
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment