Monday, March 17, 2008

The Cross

When I survey the wondrous cross
On which the Prince of Glory died,
My richest gain I count but loss,
And pour contempt on all my pride.

Forbid it, Lord, that I should boast,
Save in the death of Christ my God,
All the vain things that charm me most,
I sacrifice them to His blood.

See from His head, His hands, His feet,
Sorrow and love flow mingled down,
Did e'er such love and sorrow meet,
Or thorns compose so rich a crown?

His dying crimson, like a robe,
Spreads o'er His body on the tree;
Then I am dead to all the globe,
And all the globe is dead to me.

Were the whole realm of nature mine,
That were a present far too small;
Love so amazing, so divine,
Demands my soul, my life, my all.

When I Survey the Wondrous Cross - Isaac Watts (1707)

During most Easter weeks, I focus on the resurrection of Christ. Because that's the happy ending that I like. I get to dress up, decorate, eat brightly colored candy and enjoy gorgeous spring arrangements.

But this year, I'm going to focus on the cross. Because I need to. Because without the cross we don't get the resurrection. None of the happy ending happens without the drama of the cross.

John Stott says it so well in his classic "The Cross of Christ:
"...whether we like it or not, we are involved. Our sins put him there. So, far from offering us flattery, the cross undermines our self-righteousness. We can stand before it only with a bowed head and a broken spirit. And there we remain until the Lord Jesus speaks to our hearts his word of pardon and acceptance, and we, gripped by his love and full of thankgiving, go out into the world to live our lives in his service."

I'm going to focus on the cross this week because, as Stott put it, I am involved. I pray that we would each see how our sins put Christ on the cross and that we would all, gripped by His love, hear His word of pardon and acceptance.

Heavenly Father,
Thank You for the cross. Please give me the ability to truly, humbly see my sin for what it is. Give me a bowed head and broken spirit so that I can better understand the meaning of the cross. Grip me by Your love and fill me with thanksgiving so I can live my life in Your service.
In Jesus' Name,
Amen

No comments: