Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Love One Another

A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.
John 13:34

Over and over in the Bible, we are commanded to love one another. Paul shares in his letter to the Romans that we are to be devoted to our fellow Christians in brotherly love (Romans 12:10). Jesus tells us to love our enemies (Matthew 5:44). An old praise song says, "They Will Know We Are Christians By Our Love" (John 13:35). The word "love" appears in the King James Version of the Bible 610 times. God wants us to love!

I recently heard someone say the Biblical requirement to love is repeated so many times because it can be so hard for us to do. If it was easy, we wouldn't need the constant reminder!

Barriers to love can be
  • our jealousy towards others
  • our own selfishness
  • the unloving actions of others
  • rejection by someone who should have loved us
So what do we do when we know we are to love someone, especially a fellow Christian, yet they give us little-to-no reason to carry out that command? What happens when we've gone out of our way to love someone, and they show no love in return?

Thankfully, God doesn't tell us to love someone in order to get them to love us. In fact, no where are we guaranteed the love of another human being just because we loved them first. We've got to continue to love, in spite of the return.

One tangible thing that has helped me when I've struggled to love is to pray for that person. I purposefully ask God to bless that person in greater ways than He blesses me. I specifically and deliberately ask God to give them all the good things I want for myself. Although this prayer feels painful at first, I always end up losing the hurt I feel - and I often find I have warm feelings towards them. Oh, it doesn't happen right away, but it always happens.

God,
Thank You for giving us tools to do what You command. Thank You for the gift of prayer. Thank You for the ability to love. Thank You that when we do what You ask, our feelings sometimes follow - making it easier to do what You want. I'm glad You're in charge. Thank You for the people You've chosen to put in my life. Please help me to be more and more loving to those around me.
In Jesus' Name,

Amen

The command to love is important to God and needs to be important to us. What practical steps do you take when you need to love someone who is hard to love? Leave a comment and let us know!

2 comments:

Chiara said...

I agree, Heidi! Praying for someone always invests you enough that you eventually do love that person. Another trick is writing that person a loving note that tells them what you appreciate about them. This causes you to consider their GOOD qualities, makes you focus on the positive, and--if it is an issue--often softens their attitude toward you. This was a great reminder for me today!

Stonefox said...

Those barriers are so real and down to earth. Thanks for the prayer suggestion, that is really great! One thing I try to do is to be intentional about loving an unlovable person by finding a way to help or minister to them (babysit, cook a meal, give a kind word, etc). The key for me is INTENTIONAL. Can't wait on feelings.